Detour publishes a grounded and genuine look at our humanity. We want to
- help our readers simplify their lives
- explore the lives of others
- share views on important social and cultural trends, and
- highlight new experiences our readers would enjoy
- Trend pieces and op-eds on social and cultural topics
- Reviews of books, films, games, music, art, restaurants, or attractions
- Tips and how-to’s that make life better
- Travel narratives and personal essays
- Interviews on life unfolding
We are also happy to publish content in a range of media including photo essays, video interviews, or audio content. We accept such submissions on a rolling basis.
Limit submissions to 1000 words or less and read our work at www.detourzine.com before sending material. Send submissions and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach a .docx or .rtf file for the submission. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter too.
Every month we publish themed special issue content. As we accept issue ideas, we update our editorial calendar.
If you would like to guest edit a special issue, please send a description of the proposed theme along with a brief statement of the kind of work you would solicit to email@example.com. If you plan on including a piece of your own in the issue, feel free to send it with your proposal.
Submissions for special issues follow deadlines below:
- College life - Aug. 15, 2018
- Hobbies and passions - Sept. 15, 2018
- Best books, games, films, shows, and other media - October 15, 2018